In New Jersey, the Courts take custody and parenting time matters very seriously, as well it should. If a Judge finds that a parent or guardian has interfered with another parent's time with their child, the Court can order one or more of the following:

(1) compensatory time with the children;
(2) economic sanctions, including but not limited to the award of monetary compensation for the costs resulting from a parent’s failure to appear for scheduled visitation such as child care expenses incurred by the other parent;
(3) modification of transportation arrangements;
(4) pick-up and return of the children in a public place;
(5) counseling for the children or parents or any of them at the expense of the parent in violation of the order;
(6) temporary or permanent modification of the custodial arrangement provided such relief is in the best interest of the children;
(7) participation by the parent in violation of the order in an approved community service program;
(8) incarceration, with or without work release;
(9) issuance of a warrant to be executed upon the further violation of the judgment or order; and
(10) any other appropriate equitable remedy.

I have often seen Judges order make up time to compensate for missed parenting time, and in some cases I have even seen Judges modify the custody and visitation order. If the behavior is chronic, Judges can (and have) determined that the behavior has created a "significant change of circumstances" to warrant a switch in custody.

There are also harsher penalties for those who refuse to follow custody orders. If a party is found in contempt of court for not complying with a court order, per N.J.S.A.2C:29-9, that person may be sentenced to a jail term of up to 18 months and a fine of up to $10,000.

A person who blatantly refuses to follow custody orders can also face criminal prosecution. Pursuant to N.J.S.A.2C:13-4(a), a "parent, guardian or other lawful custodian" can be found "guilty of interference with custody" if that person "takes, detains, entices or conceals a minor child from the other parent in violation of the custody or parenting time order." If the state proves beyond a reasonable doubt that 1) there was a court order in place at the time the interference is alleged, 2) that the child was a minor, 3) that the taking, detaining, etc. was in violation of the court order, and 4) that the accused parent acted knowingly, the guilty party may be incarcerated for 3-5 years or be ordered to pay a fine of up to $15,000. It's not much fun to see your child in the visiting area of a prison.

The lesson here is to follow every provision of a custody order. If there is something you don't agree with, you always have the right to modify the prior order by consent of the parties or by filing a motion with the court to explain why you think circumstances have changed to an extent that the order must be modified to better suit the parties and the child(ren). Remember, in New Jersey family court, the best interests of the children are always paramount.